Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Commission Jan 2012

I started working on a commission do a large, framed piece of flat beaded art. I started with free form hexagon angle weave, but not so free form as to loose the pretty patterns in it. I purposely started with a few odd bits, rings of 5 instead of 6 and a couple of 4mm beads just to make things challenging. Then, I spent hours trying to "fix the mistakes" by making adjustments so that everything will fit and lie flat. What results is a crazy patchwork design that is a combination of order and chaos, where one pattern drifts into the next as do the colors. I keep coming back to this theme. I think there are some nice metaphors there, about working around the problems, and that order and confusion can coexist. It's not done yet, but I thought you might like to see my progress.  Here is what it looked like after the first day of weaving.

Here is my progress, day 2. I included a dime so you can see how big it is.

Day 3: I added some super right angle weave and Kepler's Star. I think I've decided to make it sort of a rectangle shape, working on towards the left.



9 comments:

  1. Wonderful color and design...
    Greetings,
    -Eva Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. It shines, it glows and looks very alive - ecxellent bead art!
    Best greetings from Lowrer-Austria:
    Uli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Uli. It does feel like it has a life of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have written and erased the word "organic" twice because it seems so over-used but I think it is quite apt here. It is gorgeous. Be sure to share a picture of the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ewa, thank you.

    KJ, I think organic is a good word to describe it. I'm glad you like it. I promise, there will be more photos as it progresses. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where can i buy this? I love it..is it not for sale?

    Best wishes from Is

    ReplyDelete
  7. This piece was a commission. It was sold before I took the first stitch. If you would like me to make you something similar, please send me an email to discuss time and pricing. Thanks. Gwen (at) beadinfinitum.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...